Selling used books is a good way to declutter your home and get some money for books that you probably won’t read again. This is even more important for college students because you could sell textbooks for a lot more than normal books, but you’ll have to do it quick because textbooks become outdated and thus worthless very quickly.
Places To Sell Your Used Books And Textbooks Online
Last week, I received the following comment from LuLu Malou regarding selling used books on Amazon on my income ideas article:
Selling on Amazon.com used to be a good idea but now they take most of your profits. I’m looking for a better alternative to Amazon. Any ideas?
In response to her question, I did a bit of online investigation and did the comparisons below. Please note these sites work well for your typical textbooks and books, but not rare books.
Scenario 1 – Selling three textbooks:
- 0131747428 – Developing Management Skills (Paperback)
- 0072826959 – Dinosaurs: The Textbook (Paperback)
- 0470078359 – Management (Wse) (Hardcover)
|Amazon, used lowest||$65.00||$55.00||$65.79||$61.93|
|We Buy Your Books||$21.13||$16.50||$21.38||$19.67|
From the table above, it appears that Amazon still offers the best price for selling used book. But remember that you are not guaranteed a sale when you are using Amazon because you are only using it as a marketplace — i.e., you are not selling to Amazon directly. Secondly, it’s worth shopping around when it comes to selling used textbooks due to the price variation. For example, note that BookByte.com offers the best average price, but not the best prices on all three books. Lastly, there are other factors not included in this study — i.e., shipping costs (some offers free shipping), payment options and promptness, customer service, etc.
Scenario 2 – Selling three regular books:
- 0312339879 – The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You’ll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Preserves Wealth Today (Hardcover)
- 0553805096 – The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life (Hardcover)
- 047015263X – The Panic of 1907: Lessons Learned from the Market’s Perfect Storm (Hardcover)
|Amazon, used lowest||$5.21||NA||$15.96||$10.59|
|We Buy Your Books||$1.56||$10.92||$7.34||$6.61|
Note that there are fewer places that accept regular books. This is expected due to low demand and resale value of most books. Again, Amazon seems to be the best place and there are a lot of price variations.
Other Things You Could Do With Your Books
Of course, you don’t have to sell your books and there are plenty of things you could do:
- Keep them. Of course!
- Give certain ones away as gifts to friends and family.
- Swap your books with others: PaperBackSwap.com, BookMooch, etc.
- Sell your books at local bookstores
- Sell or donate your books at thrift stores
- Donate your books to charities
- Donate your books to libraries
Here are ideas so that you don’t have to buy books in the first place:
- Use your library
- Borrow from friends and family
- Rent your textbooks instead of buying
- Read stuff on the Internet
That’s it! If you have additional ideas on where to sell books, buy them cheap, or get them for free, please share with us!
Pinyo Bhulipongsanon is the owner of Moolanomy Personal Finance and a Realtor® licensed in Virginia and Maryland. Over the past 20 years, Pinyo has enjoyed a diverse career as an investor, entrepreneur, business executive, educator, financial literacy author, and Realtor®.