Here’s some mid-week fun for Moolanomy’s readers. Have you ever wondered if you are frugal or cheap? I do. I always consider myself frugal, but my wife calls me cheap — go figure!
Photo by Bright Star via Flickr
Here’s a little test. Just answer the 10 questions below and write down your answers on a sheet of paper.
Are You Frugal Or Cheap?
1. Do you eat out (not counting lunches at work)?
- All the time
- 2-3 times a week
- 2-3 times a month
2. When you eat out, do you?
- I order whatever I crave
- Order an entree for each person and take leftover to go
- Share our meals to save some money
- I don’t eat out!
3. What do you drive?
- The latest and greatest 2 years lease can buy
- I buy new car every few years
- I always buy used car
- I don’t own a car
4. What kind of TV do you have?
- 1080 HDTV, of course!
- A flat screen TV, but not the latest and greatest
- I still have the one I bought 10 years ago
- I don’t have a TV
5. What cable/satellite package do you have?
- Premium channel with everything under the sun
- Just the basic channels so I can watch the news
- Whatever I get with the rabbit ears
- I don’t have a TV
6. You have some old clothes, do you?
- What are you talking about, I don’t have old clothes.
- I donate them when they get a little older
- I turn them into rags
- I am still wearing them
7. When you buy something, do you?
- I buy what I want, whenever I want
- I occasionally splurge on what I want
- I only buy what I need, clip coupons, use discount cards, etc.
- I avoid making any kind of purchases
8. When you receive gifts, do you?
- I take them back to the store to trade up
- I keep all my gifts
- I may return or re-gift some
- I sell them on eBay for cash
9. When you buy clothes, do you?
- I always shop brand names
- I usually buy when they are on sale
- I usually shop at goodwill and thrift stores
- I ask my friends and family for hand me downs
10. Regarding your lunches, do you?
- I always go out to the local restaurants
- I mostly eat low cost take out lunches
- I occasionally pack my own lunch
- I always pack my own lunch
For each question, give yourself: 1 point for any #1 answer, 2 points for #2, 3 points for #3, and 4 points for #4. Add up the points and rate yourself:
- 35+ = You’re definitely cheap
- 25-34 = You’re frugal. Good job!
- 16-24 = You’re not frugal, but you appear to be reasonable with your spending habits
- 10-15 = There are a lot of opportunities for you to save money
I scored 20 points. Look like there are some opportunities for me to be a little more frugal.
Here are a couple of frugal versus cheap to wrap up the article:
- Crossing the Line: When does frugal become cheap? at Being Frugal
- Frugal vs. Cheap at Blunt Money
- Frugal vs. Cheap: Where Do You Draw the Line? at Five Cent Nickel
- Frugal versus Cheap at I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- Frugal vs. Cheap at Money Walks
This post was featured in the Festival of Frugality #125 hosted by Quest For Four Pillars.
Pinyo is the owner of Moolanomy Personal Finance and a Realtor® licensed in Virginia and Maryland. Over the past 20 years, Pinyo has enjoyed a diverse career as an investor, entrepreneur, business executive, educator, financial literacy author, and Realtor®.