Frugal Or Cheap? Here’s A Test
Here’s some mid-week fun for Moolanomy’s readers. Have you ever wondered if you are frugal or cheap? I do. I always consider myself frugal, but my wife calls me cheap — go figure!
Here’s a little test. Just answer the 10 questions below and write down your answers on a sheet of paper.
Are You Frugal Or Cheap?
1. Do you eat out (not counting lunches at work)?
- All the time
- 2-3 times a week
- 2-3 times a month
2. When you eat out, do you?
- I order whatever I crave
- Order an entree for each person and take leftover to go
- Share our meals to save some money
- I don’t eat out!
3. What do you drive?
- The latest and greatest 2 years lease can buy
- I buy new car every few years
- I always buy used car
- I don’t own a car
4. What kind of TV do you have?
- 1080 HDTV, of course!
- A flat screen TV, but not the latest and greatest
- I still have the one I bought 10 years ago
- I don’t have a TV
5. What cable/satellite package do you have?
- Premium channel with everything under the sun
- Just the basic channels so I can watch the news
- Whatever I get with the rabbit ears
- I don’t have a TV
6. You have some old clothes, do you?
- What are you talking about, I don’t have old clothes.
- I donate them when they get a little older
- I turn them into rags
- I am still wearing them
7. When you buy something, do you?
- I buy what I want, whenever I want
- I occasionally splurge on what I want
- I only buy what I need, clip coupons, use discount cards, etc.
- I avoid making any kind of purchases
8. When you receive gifts, do you?
- I take them back to the store to trade up
- I keep all my gifts
- I may return or re-gift some
- I sell them on eBay for cash
9. When you buy clothes, do you?
- I always shop brand names
- I usually buy when they are on sale
- I usually shop at goodwill and thrift stores
- I ask my friends and family for hand me downs
10. Regarding your lunches, do you?
- I always go out to the local restaurants
- I mostly eat low cost take out lunches
- I occasionally pack my own lunch
- I always pack my own lunch
For each question, give yourself: 1 point for any #1 answer, 2 points for #2, 3 points for #3, and 4 points for #4. Add up the points and rate yourself:
- 35+ = You’re definitely cheap
- 25-34 = You’re frugal. Good job!
- 16-24 = You’re not frugal, but you appear to be reasonable with your spending habits
- 10-15 = There are a lot of opportunities for you to save money
I scored 20 points. Look like there are some opportunities for me to be a little more frugal.
Here are a couple of frugal versus cheap to wrap up the article:
This post was featured in the Festival of Frugality #125 hosted by Quest For Four Pillars.
If you like this article, please sign up for our free weekly updates
Sign up for free weekly updates
About the AuthorPinyo
is the owner of Moolanomy Personal Finance
and an entrepreneur with over 20 years of business experience. He has a strong appreciation for business management, investing, and wealth building. He has written for many online publications, including American Express and U.S. News.
The information on this site is strictly the author's opinion. It does NOT constitute financial, legal, or other advice of any kind. You should consult with a certified adviser for advice to your specific circumstances.
While we try to ensure that the information on this site is accurate at the time of publication, information about third party products and services do change without notice. Please visit the official site for up-to-date information.
Moolanomy has affiliate relationships with some companies ("advertisers") and may be compensated if consumers choose to buy or subscribe to a product or service via our links. Our content is not provided or commissioned by our advertisers. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of our advertisers, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers.